Friday, October 5, 2007

Show and Tell Friday

Good golly it's been a long time. I seem to be getting back in the swing of things. Yikes, it's been a busy start to school. Finally a post for Show and Tell Friday, I've missed all of you!
Dear hubby and I went to a neighborhood garage sale this spring. We were less than excited about out trip until we went to this one home. There we found the buy of the year for us. Since I teach, I'm always drawn to pictures of school rooms. We were fortunate to find three pictures that would go great in Junior's room. (He moved to supported living last October and his room was in need of some redecorating.) I had painted and put up a Coke border one year ago, however he took most of his things with him to his new apartment, so his room was in need of decorations. My husband and I have always loved the artists Hargrove and Carson. They have similar styles and were reported to have studied together. I can't find much about them on the Internet, but have found their prints on EBay. I already had a school yard print by Hargrove... We were so pleasantly surprised when we spotted in a driveway three paintings. However, there were no price tags. I was sure they would be too much. One was of a school room, one of a soda shop, and one of a toy store. All of them had the perfect colors for the room and they were prints Junior could relate too. They would make a nice addition to his room, plus allow me to make it into a guestroom too. The smaller one we had of the school yard.
The larger one is the picture we found:
Here's the soda shop:
And finally here's the toy shop:

This is the best part, several of them are number and signed by the artist. Their retail value in the early 90's would have been over $300.00 for the three of them in frames. Drum roll please..., can you tell I'm still excited about this??? They were only $5.00 each. Yes a total of $15.00. Yikes that's a good buy. I couldn't have gone anywhere and gotten pictures like this for $5.00 a piece. Are you familiar with these artist? Please let me know. Have a good weekend. Thanks Kelli, for hosting Show and Tell Fridays. Such fun for all.

11 comments:

LadySnow said...

Not familiar with the artist, but that is quite the find!

Hootin Anni said...

What a glorious 'find'!!! That's great.

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing~

Susan said...

Oh wow Trudy. These are wonderful. I am not familiar with the artist but they remind me of Rockwell work.
Susan

Rose of Sharon said...

Wonderful buy! I am not familiar with the artist, but I love his work! You have a lovely blog!

Hugs! Sharon

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wonderful find! Such cute prints!

Kimberly :)

nannykim said...

what an amazing story--sometimes the story that goes with something is almost as good as the object; thanks for sharing!

Susie said...

I don't know this artist either, but I was also thinking how the style is very similar to Rockwell. He's one of my favorites. Great find!
:)

Carole Burant said...

Omigosh, such wonderful pictures and the price sure was right!! Those are treasures indeed, considering they are even signed and numbered by the artist!! I've never heard of them but I sure do love their style!! xo

Kelli said...

The scenes are just darling, Trudy! What wonderful finds, you must have been SO excited!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with the artists, but those prints are wonderful! And wow, what an amazing price!